Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Conversation with a Granters

I picked him up from the sitter's yesterday and our conversation went something like this:

Me: How was your day today, Grant?

G: Good. I hab pun at Judy's!

Me: What did you do?

G: Pun!

Me: You played and had fun?

G: Yeah!

Me: What did you eat for lunch? (I always ask the kids this question, I don't know why.)

G: Yes.

Me: No, what did you eat for lunch?

G: Wunch?

Me: Yes. What did you eat?

G: Eat.

Me: Yes...what did you eat?

G: Eat....samich.

Me: Oh! (breakthough!) You had a sandwich! That sounds so yummy!
What was on your sandwich? (I should have just quit while I was ahead)

G: Yes.

Me: No, I asked what was on your sandwich?

G: Yeah.

We went on like this for a few minutes. Both of us getting frustrated, him saying "yeah" several times to questions that aren't asking "yes" or "no"

And...the conversation was...over.

No wonder we're exhausted when we get home, I spend half of my leftover energy trying to extract information from a child who is trying desperately to figure out why I keep asking him about his lunch. He already said "yeah" for Pete's sake! Enough, woman!

No comments: