Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swimming lessons

Both boys had swimming lessons for the past two weeks, and I am so proud of my boys!
Connor has become quite the fish and is using his arms so much more this year. He did very well and had a blast jumping off the diving board and swimming the length of the pool.






He was in a class of younger boys, though, and I was a bit disappointed that his teacher didn't work on diving with him at all. By the end of last summer he could do it! Oh well, I guess that will be a job for mom.


It's a blessing and a curse that I taught swim lessons all of those years. You'd think it would come in handy and I could teach my own kids how to swim, but not so much.

They don't think that mom knows what she's talking about.
Go figure. I have no idea where they get that.

Hush Mom.


And we're on to Grant's swimming lessons. He was something else this year, and he really didn't want to do lessons very much. The first couple of days he cried at the beginning of the lesson, and when he thought I might be looking his way, he was sure to frown really big so I'd see it.



His teacher was a cute 17-ish girl--Ashley. Miss Ashley did a great job with Grant, pushing him to keep doing more, but also making him comfortable.
On day 3, Grant was crying again, so the 40-ish pool manager (a very nice woman, but she's no 17 year old girl in a swimsuit) took Grant for that session. He SCREAMED! For much of the lesson. Finally, I walked over to the pool's edge and asked Grant, "what is wrong?"


"I don't like HER!"
"Do you want to go back to Miss Ashley?"
"Yes."
He was all smiles after that. He had gotten the cute girl back. As one of the dads from another class said after watching all of this..."that boy's no dummy! He wants the cute girl!"

So, Grant did not learn how to swim this year, but he did successfully manipulate his way into the arms of a cute older woman.





No comments: