Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin Patch




Note: My camera ran out of batteries, and I had planned to put in new batteries before we left and forgot. I only got two pictures....neither of which involves any pumpkins!




We finally made it to our yearly trip to the Pumpkin patch...only we tried something new this year. See, in the past, we've been able to go to the local 'patch and have a good ol' time without paying the high ($8+, yikes!) price of admission. Connor is a very reasonable child and understands that if we have a talk beforehand about what we will and won't do, that is just the way it's going to be.
Completely reasonable.
Grant?
Not so reasonable. He IS only two, plus has a little more...how shall I say...forcefulness to his personality!

So, me being the cheapskate that I am decided I was NOT going to shell out $30+ just for admission to the pumpkin patch--that doesn't even COUNT the pumpkins! I looked online for "Free pumpkin patches in Kansas City."
And I found one!

It is located in Sibley, MO, which is north of Grain Valley. Not too bad of a hike if there isn't a 10-mile backup on 1-70 where you literally sit still for 20 minutes only to see NO ROAD CONSTRUCTION ahead (though the signs warn you it is coming!) So we did what any reasonable person would do. We drove in the lane that was apparently "coming to an end" all the way to our exit.
Whew. I am glad Jeff was driving. I am just not that brave.
So, we made it to Sibley, which is a lovely little town.

Jeff and I always think we want to move to a small town, it looks so quaint, so carefree. They probably have jobs and life too, though.

Anyway, the pumpkin patch was great. There was a cool orchard store where they sold apples, jams, frozen berries, and apple cider. Let me tell you--I think apple cider is gross--this stuff is G-O-O-O-D!
We went on a little tractor ride out to the "patch" which was a little sparse. I am thinking we went a little too late in the season. All of the big pumpkins were "mashed" according to the boys. Fortunately, there was also a big section of small "pie" pumpkins and there were lots of great little ones to choose from. We took 5 home because I was all set to try to make my own pumpkin butter.
What can I say, sometimes I feel like a farm girl. Next thing ya know, I'll be churning my own butter.
We got some good-looking apples, some cider, and those pumpkins, but then had to be on our way. It was past nap time for someone. Oh, and Grant too.

On our way home we were watching the rolling farmland and the cool old farm houses, and Jeff said, "You really would like to live in the country, huh? I've converted you!"
I said, "Yeah, that would be great, we could have 4 dogs..."
Grant, excitedly from the backseat: "FOUR DOGS!"
Jeff: "and maybe a cow?"
Me: "Nah, it's too much trouble to milk it every day and night."
Jeff: "Really?"
Me: "Ok, we can get a cow, but I want to hire someone else to milk it."


Ah yes, I think I am still a ways off from living the farm life.

No comments: