Monday, June 23, 2008

Chicago







I am not a great traveler. (Did I spell that right???) Don't get me wrong. It always SOUNDS great to go somewhere new and see the sights, but when it comes down to it, unless my family is coming along, I am usually a bit apprehensive.



My trip to Chicago was no exception, but I still really enjoyed it.

Katrina and Angie invited Marjie and me to go on a sightseeing girls' trip to Chicago. Flights were cheap (though I have no idea how with the prices at the pump!) and I have never been to Chicago. It isn't too far from here and I had always intended to go with Jeff, or with friends...it just never happened.


I was so nervous to leave the family at home...but they did beautifully without me. In fact, I believe Connor's words were: "Mom, I missed you just a teeny tiny little bit." Not to be confused with his dramatics surrounding Jeff's impending departure. He cried the entire day before Jeff left for Oklahoma for bball camp.

I know they did miss me...and I missed them. I was ready to go home after a short 36 hours in Chicago of shopping, eating, and WALKING! Considering my leg bone is fractured, it probably wasn't the best use of my time, but it was a place unlike any I'd ever been. I felt very small and a bit "country," though I know that I am not. When we arrived, we had a bit of trouble figuring out the train, the bus, the trolley. In fact, the question "Why are we so STUPID??" was the mantra for the first day of the trip. The free yet oh-so-elusive trolley that would take us all over downtown makes for fun memories as well. Chicago was LOUD, but I loved the easily accessible public transportation (once we got over our stupidity!), the sights, and just getting away and taking time out for me. Sometimes we moms just don't do that enough.



No comments: